My sister-in-law had problems with pregnancy too. She had multiple miscarriages before having two beautiful little girls. (I am very happy being their aunt.) She has given us some tips. We have tried some of them (even the sweet potatoes…yuck!). Unfortunately, they haven’t worked yet.
1. Buy some ovulation tests. (I have used Answer and have gotten a positive each month. I did have to use them multiple times a day. I usually got a positive in the afternoon. Most women ovulate around day 13-15 of their cycle, but I was closer to day 17-18, so the tests really do tell you when you’re fertile. They are especially helpful when your cycle is irregular. )
2. You can check your basal body temp daily with a basal body thermometer. (I have never tried this, but there is lots of information out there. There is a great e-mail course through www.FertilityFriend.com about charting your way to conception.)
3. Check your cervical mucus. (I know, it sounds gross. Your cervical mucus will change in color and consistency during your most fertile days. When you are fertile, it should become wet and thinner. On your days before ovulation the mucus should be kind of slick, but once it starts getting where you can make a string between your fingers with it, you know your just about to ovulate. You should be able to stretch a strand between your fingers an inch or more. Some women’s mucus is too thick all month. If that is the case, taking Robotussin cough syrup with Guaifenesin during fertile days will help thin it out. Guaifenesin should be the only active ingredient. If you buy Robitussin, don’t get one with letters after it. That means it contains other active ingredients. If it’s too thick, sperm won’t travel well through it.)
4. Take a baby aspirin. (I’ve heard of using baby aspirin to thin your mucus also. It also helps prepare your uterus for implantation. I had a hard time finding “baby aspirin” but the 81mg chewable aspirin is the same. I guess the stopped calling it “baby” aspirin because too many people were overdosing their babies.)
5. Buy some disposable douches at the store (not ones with vinegar…for obvious reasons…vinegar/baking soda not a good mix…). About an hour before sex empty the entire bottle down the drain. Fill it with 2 tablespoons baking soda and warm water and shake well. Douche with it during your fertile days each time about an hour before. It knocks down the woman’s natural acidity that kills over half the sperm. A lot of women have problems getting pregnant simply because their bodies are too acidic.
6. Keep your hips elevated after sex for about 20-30 minutes. Obvious reasons…gravity. And try not to pee for an hour or so after.
7. Make sure you’re taking your folic acid. It won’t help you get pregnant per say, but it will make sure the baby gets a good start. If you don’t get enough when you get pregnant the baby could have lots of neurological problems. Also, take prenatal vitamins.
8. Another herbal supplement I have heard to take is Vitex. This works especially well if you have irregular cycles. For more information on a supplement that contains Vitex and a prenatal vitamin, see my post about FertilAid dated July 14th, 2009.
9. Some women swear by getting a massage on their most fertile days. I guess it just helps you to relax and not stress so much about it all. They say going on a mini-vacation also helps.
10. Sweet potatoes are supposed to be great for fertility. (That’s great if you like sweet potatoes. I’ve also heard that honey is a great fertility food.)
11. Get lots of rest on your fertile days.
**I am not a doctor. Please consult with your physician before trying these tips.**
MORE TIPS TO COME SOON!